Pages

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Eat Normal

Hello hello! 

I just love eating. 

I say these words aloud to myself at least once a day, whether I am alone, surrounded by strangers on the subway or with friends and family. Food has always been and will always be a reliable and cherished source of joy in my life, and it's just a wonderful bonus that it's necessary. The latter fact gives me five three opportunities a day to do my favorite activity.

I think, though, that American and European food culture is losing sight of this sentiment. The name of this blog is inspired by a classic Julia Child quote: "If you're afraid of butter, use cream." People, it seems, are growing increasingly afraid of their food. Eating is becoming more and more a way to restrict oneself, to deny pleasure, to discuss calories / nutrients / organisms instead of ingredients / dishes / chefs. Gluten intolerance. Lactose sensitivity. Sugar phobia. Food allergies are of course serious, and I begrudgingly admire people who commit wholeheartedly and rationally to, say, veganism (probably because I am related to one such person). But I too am devoted to a food philosophy, which is to refuse to get so damn weird about it.  To eat everything, to think about it, and to love it.

This blog will be one buttery weapon in the battle against dumb food trends. I promise never to encourage you to blot the fat off a pizza, but I also promise to scoff if you pick green veggies off a plate.  When I feel like pork chops, I'll share that recipe. When I want to visit a juice bar, I'll write about that. And when I just can't help myself and need to cook and eat a whole batch of beignets, then that'll pop up here too. 

So in sum, this is a blog dedicated to eating normal. 


all the food love, 
dz


No comments:

Post a Comment